Tuesday, January 16, 2007

~*~ A DaY iN ODAC @ KKH ~*~

Today woke up early @ 7.00am to prepare myself to stay a day in Obestetrics Day Care @ KKH... This is a one day program which 3 meals & 2 snacks in between meals will be provided... Woke hubby up @ 7.30am, then went shower & left the house @ 8.10am...

Reached KK @ 8.45am & hubby accompained me to admit myself & he left after I done with the registration... While doing the registration, I saw a nurse taking blood test thru' the arm vein's of another patient, just like me... The moment I saw that, I told my hubby that 'Huh, not again?? Can I don't go thru' that?'... My hubby stroked my hair & consoled me & said nothing serious one la... So I have to be a brave girl to face that again... =( But I really have to say this time the jab is much more painful than the 2 jabs that I had last Tuesday...

Anyway after that jab, the nurse assembled me & the other 3 patients to a room and settled us down... She brief to us that shortly we'll be taking our glucose level before & after food... Each of us were given a set of blood glucometers to conduct the test... It consists of a glucometer, lancet (finger-pricking needle) & test strip...

The target blood sugar level:
- before food is 3.3 to 5.5 mmol/L
- 2 hrs after food is 5.5 to 7 mmol/L

1st test before & after breakfast:

9.05am - 5.4 mmol/L (before breakfast)
9.10am - breakfast being served (Minced Pork Porridge w/ milk)
11.10am - 5.0 mmol/L (2 hours after breakfast)

Conclusion: still under acceptable range

Mid Morning break served @ 11.10am

We're allowed to walk around the premises after mid morning break...

2nd test before & after lunch:

1.00pm - 5.2 mmol/L (before lunch)
1.10pm - lunch being served (Rice w/ Char siew & vegeatables & soup)
3.10pm - 6.1 mmol/L (after lunch)

Conclusion: still under acceptable range

Mid Afternoon break served @ 3.10pm

There's visiting hours in the day care too... My hubby came @ 1.30pm to visit me... So happy to see my hubby... =) Told my hubby that I did the finger-pricked test on my own & he praised me for being very brave as he knows that I'm a person who will freak out when seeing needles or syringes... He accompained me till 2.30pm & I had to go back to the ward to carry on the program... =(

3rd test before & after dinner:

5.00pm - 5.6 mmol/L (before dinner)
5.05pm - dinner being served (Rice w/ Cauliflower, mushrooms & crabmeat & soup)
7.05pm - 6.2 mmol/L (after dinner)

Conclusion: before dinner exceeded a bit as we're sitting down listening to the nurse's talk on the risk factors that gestational diabetes might have, but after dinner is under acceptable range

Yuppie!!! Hubby came & fetched me @ 5.30pm... Went Shop N Save to get those necessary things for my whole new diet meals. I still have to do another test later @ 9.00pm... Haiz... =( Too many fingers being pricked by the lancets... =(

I have to monitor my condition with the set of the blood glucometer for the next few weeks... Hopefully my condition is still under acceptable range when KK review my chart next week... *keeping my fingers crossed*